Key Provisions of the Bill
- Ends the outdated patenting system, preventing unfettered access for mining on nearly all public lands.
- Establishes a 12.5% royalty on new mining operations – the same amount as oil and gas – and an 8% royalty on existing operations, excluding small miners.
- Levels the playing field with all other uses of public lands – such as grazing, hunting, and energy devel- opment – while preserving the existing land-use planning processes.
- Makes special lands – such as the Grand Canyon, Bears Ears, and Yellowstone – off-limits to hardrock mining.
- Establishes strong reclamation standards and a dedicated funding source to reclaim and restore abandoned mines and areas impacted.